I’m a CBT specialist with experience helping people with Chronic Pain. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is the best practice counselling approach for chronic pain – https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10204712/
CBT is a short-term, goal focused, empowering approach. In a way, it is therapy for people who “don’t need therapy”. I combine CBT with DBT skills and other counselling as needed.
Pain can impact all aspects of our lives including our body, emotions, thoughts and behaviours. Each individual experiences pain in a unique way. My main goal is to look at all aspects and increase your quality of life.
- First off, I want to get to know you and learn how pain impacts your life and how you currently manage it.
- You will learn and use CBT techniques to identify and change any thoughts, feelings or behaviours that might be making things worse.
- You will learn new coping skills to see what helps – relaxation techniques, body scans, grounding exercises, and mindfulness skills.
- We will discuss moderation of activities, and finding more activities that you enjoy.
- We can discuss communication with loved ones about pain and feelings.
- We can also discuss meaning, purpose and hope.
CBT can help people with Chronic Pain, Fibromyalgia, Arthritis Pain, Chronic Fatigue etc. As well, it is a best practice therapy approach for other things that might be affecting you such as – anxiety, depression, anger, chronic insomnia, IBS, worry and stress.
I can co-ordinate with your physician, WSIB case worker, insurance company, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, massage therapist, psychologist etc. Ask them for a referral to me.
Feel free to book a free 30 minute consult to meet me, tell me what you are looking for support with, and to ask me any questions.