I am passionate about empowering my clients with new insights & tools for lasting change – Mary Cross
I grew up in Toronto, lived briefly on a farm in rural Ontario and attended university in Guelph and Kitchener. I worked, volunteered, and raised two children in Guelph until recently moving back to Toronto.
I have my Master of Social Work (MSW) and I am a Registered Social Worker (RSW) licensed by the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW), and I am member of the Ontario Association of Social Workers (OASW).
More biography details:
- My undergraduate degree is in International Development. Social justice issues have been a part of my activism since my teenage years.
- I am a mother to two lovely (now adult) children.
- I have worked and volunteered in the arts and social justice fields.
- I have over 15 years experience in the Mental Health field. Most of my early experience and training was in quick responses to mental health issues and counselling needs – crisis mental health support, mobile mental health support with police, walk-in counselling, and brief therapy in a high school setting, a Community Mental Health Clinic and in a Counselling Centre. I learned to assess and offer the most impactful responses and therapy that I could, knowing I likely only had a brief encounter with people.
- I am a birder and nature lover who feels best on walks and hikes in the woods either solo or with family and friends.
- I enjoy writing and my daily Wordle and Spelling Bee.
- I also have a therapy practice called Counselling Guelph (now online) through which I do more traditional and longer-term therapy aimed at personal growth, self-awareness and communication.
I love being a support to people and feel very lucky to go on this journey with them. I would be honoured to support you.
- Mastering Differential diagnosis with the DSM-5-TR 2022 – 2 day workshop. PESI.
- Understanding Complex/Developmental Trauma 2022 – CPRI 1 day workshop.
- Psychological Treatment of OCD: Effective and Practical Strategies 2022 – 2 day workshop. PESI
- Showing Up as Allies 2022 – Ontario Association of Social Workers
- Course Certificate for Preventing Chronic Pain: 2021 – Coursera Inc.
- Beyond Positive Intentions: 2020 – Providing Equitable Services for LGBTQ+ Newcomers – Ontario Association of Social Workers. Educational Forum
- Addictions Certificate, WLU School of Social Work 2016
- 6 week Refugee Mental Health Course 2016 – Community Addictions and Mental Health (CAMH)
- Connect: An Attachment Based Program for Parents 2015 – Lutherwood Family Services
- Certificate in Trauma-Focused CBT for Children 2015 – National Child Traumatic Stress Network